BD (Becton, Dickinson and Company) EHS Specialist III in San Jose, California
Job Description Summary
As the EHS Specialist III, you will prepare and/or assist in preparing policies and procedures in Environmental Health and Safety. Have extensive knowledge in licensing and permitting for a laboratory/bio-technology environment. You will be the Subject Matter Expert on most issues involving Environmental Compliance, Health and Safety regulation, and Workers’ Compensation. You will work on problems of diverse scope where analysis of data requires evaluation of identifiable factors necessary to select appropriate methods and techniques for obtaining satisfactory solutions. Perform routine tasks with little instruction and supervision, and general instruction on new assignments. This position will work closely with both senior internal and external personnel.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Coordinate/Supervise all site safety and environmental programs, including Chemical Hygiene/Laboratory Safety, Biological Safety, and Fire Safety. Assist in the management of the Radiation Safety and Laser Safety Programs.
2. Conduct investigations into accidents and work-related injuries or illnesses. Utilizing data provided from the OSHA 300 Logs, Workers’ Compensation trends (both locally and BD wide), and Industry Best Practices, be able to identify trends and establish new and creative ways to reduce injuries site wide.
3. Manage site's Ergonomics Program. Act as primary liaison to associates and others receiving or requesting ergonomic evaluations. Develop new and improved techniques in Ergonomics to address the trends of injuries/complaints expressed by Associates.
4. Provide training and guidance on all EHS Training Programs. Training programs will include but not limited to IIPP, Hazardous Communication, Blood Born Pathogens and Chemical Hygiene. At this level you will be expected to create and deliver effective training and lesson plans.
5. This position will be expected to determine what SOP/WI’s are required and as necessary, draft the required procedures and have them approved through BD’s established approval process.
6. Manage the sites Hazardous/Bio-Hazardous Waste and general recycling Programs. This position will be expected to seek out “Green” alternatives to disposal where possible in all waste streams. Maintain company’s chemical inventory and MSDS files. Coordinate annual update of chemical inventory with department safety officers.
7. Chair the sites Safety Management Council (in the absence of the EHS Manager) and successfully continue forward with all Health and Safety Initiatives. Produce and distribute meeting minutes. Coordinate communications with Council Committee members.
8. Conduct regulatory evaluations, write reports as required, and report activities to EHS Manager. Develop budget information and assist in the preparing of annual site EHS budgetary information.
9. Maintain applicable site permits including storm-water pollution prevention, HMBP, air quality, NPDES, Medical and Hazardous Waste and others. Submit permit applications as necessary and play a major role in ensuring all work areas meet Local, State, and Federal regulatory requirements.
10. Coordinate quarterly site inspections of all departments including documentation and follow-up with the EHS Manager.
11. Manage all aspects of the Blood Borne Pathogen Program including coordinating the Hepatitis B vaccine and Tetanus vaccine programs, the Volunteer Blood Donor Program and all training requirements. Directly supervise the day-to-day actions of the on-site Phlebotomist.
12 Maintain excellent working knowledge of local, State and Federal Regulations that apply to our operations including but not limited to Federal OSHA, EPA and California Health and Safety Code. Conduct periodic departmental safety inspections and ensures corrective action for identified hazards. Participates as a standing member of the Safety Committee.
13 Performs other related duties and assignments as required.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
Familiar with DHS, OSHA, EPA, RCRA, Air Quality, and Water Pollution regulations.
Demonstrated ability to organize work and establish priorities.
Effective customer service skills and the ability to manage multiple tasks and time pressures.
Effective interpersonal skills.
Effective written and oral communication skills.
Demonstrated ability to follow established policies and procedures.
Effective analytical problem solving skills.
Must be proficient working with PCs. Requires good command of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, FileMaker Pro, e-mail and the Internet.
** A valid, unrestricted California driver’s license and a clean driving record is required for minimal travel between facilities.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Requires a BS/BA in safety or a related discipline and 3-5 years related experience working in a laboratory, research, or manufacturing environment with safety and/or environmental responsibilities.
Prior experience problem-solving ergonomic safety concerns and conducting ergonomic evaluations in different work settings (office, lab, manual materials handling) is required.
Primary Work LocationUSA CA - San Jose
Becton, Dickinson and Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility or veteran status