BD (Becton, Dickinson and Company) VP, Business Development in Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
Job Description Summary
General Purpose Summary:
Pharmaceutical Systems (PS), a business unit within Becton Dickinson (BD), is responsible for sales revenue in excess of $1.6 billion dollars globally. The VP, Business Development position is a Sr. Leadership level role within BD located in Franklin Lakes, New Jersey and reports directly to the WW President BDM-PS. This is a key role responsible for identifying, assessing, negotiating, and finalizing new business opportunities that are in line with the overall business and strategic growth objectives for PS and BD. The leader of business development works collaboratively with other internal functions to assess market potential, financial viability, technical relevance, and proprietary and legal implications, of all potential new business opportunities. In addition, they lead a team responsible for completing financial models, preparing, and presenting opportunities to senior leaders, due diligence of targets, and integration activities.
Essential Job Functions/Requirements:
1. Lead a world-class business development function aligned with the WW President’s vision for the business and BD’s overall business objectives.
2. Identifies potential acquisition, technology or partnership opportunities through his/her knowledge of the industry, interacting with investment bankers, company officials, attending medical conferences that showcase new business opportunities, universities, trade shows, inventors and other business opportunities.
3. Prioritize new business development opportunities that directly align to established strategies and product lines of the division, and present to sr. leadership.
4. Conduct and lead financial analysis and market research activities to assess financial viability of target, evaluate market potential, differentiating technology and product leadership that will generate targeted revenue.
5. Drives due diligence activities in the areas of IP, probability of technical and regulatory success, and other key factors.
6. Prepares and presents new business opportunities to senior leaders that include detailed financial analysis, market opportunity, revenue potential, IP, and technological assessment.
7. Develops and negotiates term-sheets and provides solutions to reach agreement on deal terms.
8. Organizes and coordinates cross-functional due diligence teams and works closely with other functional groups to complete detailed due diligence, acquisition and integration activities.
9. Work collaboratively across multiple functions to lead all business development transactions from initial engagement, analysis and valuation, through due diligence efforts, managing contract negotiations, integration planning and close.
10. Manage the business development annual budget.
11. Works with the PS leadership team to align priorities and achieve overall business results and objectives.
Education and Qualifications Required:
1. Bachelor’s degree in law, finance, business administration, marketing, engineering or life sciences (MBA preferred).
2. 10 to 15 years of business development experience in mid to large company with revenue in excess of $250 million dollars annually.
3. 5+ years as a senior business development leader role in the medical device industry.
4. Proven track record of success in closing deals in the medical device industry in excess of $50 to $100+ million dollars.
5. In-depth knowledge of the injectable pharmaceutical market, drug delivery and medical device industry, in additional to trends in the broader drug delivery space including nasal, inhalation, and advanced drug delivery field.
6. Exceptional negotiating skills along with financial acumen.
7. Thorough understanding of FDA regulations within the U.S. including combination products, in addition to global laws and regulations related to IP and legal implications with acquisitions of technology, products or companies.
Additional Skills and Competencies Required:
1. Strong presentation skills and ability to present material and complex matters in a succinct and organized manner
2. Ability to think critically in tactical and strategic dimensions simultaneously.
3. Demonstrated ability to effectively work across various functions in order to ensure deliverables are met against required timelines.
4. Ability to prioritize tasks in real time and exercise judgment in high-stakes environment.
5. Ability to quickly establish credibility, trust and support with both internal and external constituents.
6. Demonstrated ability to hire, develop, and manage employees.
7. Strong ability to communicate effectively with leaders at the most senior levels within the corporation.
8. Strong quantitative, modeling and negotiations skills and experience.
9. Ability to interface effectively with all levels and functions both inside and outside of the organization
• Worldwide Business Unit President, Segment Leaders
• WW Vice President of Marketing and Strategic Innovation
• Senior level leaders within Becton Dickinson
• Functional Leaders
• Internal legal counsel
• Regional and Country Leaders
• Investment bankers
• Senior level officials from targeted companies
• Outside legal counsel and consultants
• Industry trade associations, standards committees
• Parenteral Drug and Delivery societies and committees
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be in an open cubicle environment. Candidate must be able to work in a team-oriented, fast-paced environment. BD Pharmaceutical Systems is an affirmative action, equal employer that values and actively seeks diversity in the workforce.
Primary Work LocationUSA NJ - Franklin Lakes
Becton, Dickinson and Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility or veteran status, or any other protected status.